This vintage Carolina Lily quilt was fun to quilt! The outside edges are difficult to see in this picture but the cone shaped border will be finished with scalloped edges. I’m hoping for a finished picture after Nancy attaches the binding. If it was me, I would cut that straight! And that’s why she is finishing it and not me!!
The large on point setting blocks were perfect for some feathered wreaths!
Sometimes vintage quilts are not perfectly flat or have some fullness issues. Every time I started a block, I was nervous it would not “quilt out”!
I’m happy to say every block turned out great!
Just for fun, here’s a modern Carolina Lily quilt.
Thanks for looking! All the quilting is freehand with an 2017 APQS Freddie, affectionately known as Winifred. I love to hear from you, please comment on my Facebook page or follow me on Instagram.
What do you do when your sister calls you asking for a quilt for her best friend?! You go to your stash of almost finished quilts and finish it! I originally called this “The Big O Quilt” but when my sister explained that her friend did a huge favor for her, I changed the name to “Big Hugs Quilt”! I didn’t have a quilt pattern, it’s half square triangles and squares arranged to make a big “O”. It’s a great use for a fat quarter bundle that you don’t know what to do with!
The quilting is a freehand edge to edge, “Swirled Feathers”, it’s a fun design to stitch out!I even found a fun label with a perfect sentiment to complete the quilt!
While it seems I’m only quilting for myself, I have been very busy quilting for others! Here’s an antique/vintage Dresden Plate quilt quilted with freehand feather meander.Some of the plate wedges were very worn and faded but most were in good shape, It’s fun to stitch old quilts and observe the fabric designs and fabric type!
Here’s one of my flea market bargains, finished! It measures about 32 x 39 inches and I’m amazed how great it looks quilted. The sewing is very “off” and several blocks were trimmed in the process of squaring it up for binding. Even with puckered seams and unusual fabric, I love how it looks! I finished it with some very old chambray fabric from my pre-quilting stash. This would make a great little play mat or mini picnic quilt. In case you’re wondering, I paid 50 cents for the unfinished quilt top!
Last November, I spent a weekend with my sisters. We foraged through Marge’s closet and found lots of fun stuff! One of the finds was a cheater quilt that Marge had hoped to hand quilt. As you know, I’ve been collecting “vintage” tops to finish on my longarm. Just what I need, more UFOs!
Here’s the quilt finished and bound before washing and drying. I did not pre-wash the fabrics because I wanted to wash and dry the quilt for the wrinkly, antique look.
Here’s the quilt after washing. Every flower center is quilted with a different design. That was the fun part for me! I challenged myself to get out rulers, that I never use, to create a fill pattern. I enjoyed doing freehand feathers the most and had to refrain from putting a feather in each one!
I love it! It’s going to be very hard to give this quilt back to Marge!
Every flower block is outlined and echoed, which gives lots of texture. The petals and leaves puff out giving it the impression of applique.
The binding is a dark gold Kona cotton. I love it! Thanks for looking! 🙂 Linda
I’m linking with A Stitch In Time for a January 2013 finish.